Snapshot of H. W. Mountz School
The H.W. Mountz School provides a challenging educational environment for its students in PreK through grade 8 as articulated in our vision statement: “H.W. Mountz: Expanding What’s Possible – Welcoming, Progressive, Responsible, Wise, Heroic” supported by the three pillars of emotional benefits, functional benefits, and practical benefits. With ideal teacher/student ratios and comprehensive support services, we offer an instructional delivery system that best meets our childrens' educational needs while preparing them for the future.
H.W. Mountz students receive instruction in a full range of academic subjects. Rigorous offerings include integrated language arts/reading, mathematics, science, social studies, art, foreign language/culture, health, music, and physical education, all enhanced via technology integration. Our PreK to grade 5 academic program is self-contained and our grade 6-8 academic programming is delivered through a middle school model to best prepare our students for their upcoming high school experience. We offer interventions for both accelerated students and for those approaching grade-level readiness. Students are engaged in enrichment opportunities through technology integration and a one to one (1:1) Chromebooks program in grades 3 through 8, Smart Boards in every classroom, a state of the art computer lab, TV studio, and Virtual Learning Lab.
H.W. Mountz students are also actively engaged in charitable endeavors and community initiatives. An example is our unique program titled MUSST (Mountz Uniting Students and Seniors Together).
Our school size allows us to get to know all of our students on an individualized basis while offering a variety of programs and services to compliment the New Jersey Student Learning Standards. Our programs and services enhance the educational experiences for our students and include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Pre-K program utilizing the Tools of the Mind Curriculum with an extended program for four-year-old students
- Full day Kindergarten program that introduces our students to all primary grade curricula
- Lab based science program taught by certified science teachers in renovated science facilities
- Spanish program in Kindergarten through grade 8 taught by a certified Spanish teacher who delivers Spanish I concepts in grades 6-8
- One to one (1:1) Chromebook initiative in grades 3-8
- TV studio highlighting daily news and various other curricular related endeavors partnered with a state of the art computer lab and virtual learning lab for technology integration
- Opportunities to accelerate in language arts and mathematics in grades 6-8
- Gifted and Talented enrichment programs for students who meet our gifted criteria
- National Junior Honor Society with selection criteria aligned to the national standards
- Character building, anti-bullying endeavors in PreK through grade 8 including Responsive Classroom with Morning Meeting and social skills curricula
- Comprehensive Child Study Team (CST) to promptly meet the emerging needs of our students
- State of the art Special Education programs and supports that, whenever possible, are fully included and supported in classroom settings in alignment with best practices, research, and the law
- Fully equipped library/media center
- Impressive array of enrichment activities beyond the school day including a comprehensive athletics program, fine arts programs, student council, yearbook, and peer mediator program
- Rigorous academic expectations delivered thorugh trimester marking periods
- Benchmark, I-Ready, and Achieve 3000 exams administered to students in grades 3-8
- Fountas and Pinnell benchmark reading assessments and Dynamic Indicators of Basic Literacy Skills (DIBLES) administered to students in grades K-2
Central to the success of our school is the active involvement of many volunteers who generously contribute their time and efforts to the H.W. Mountz School. Through outstanding organizations such as our Parent Teacher Association (PTA), the Spring Lake Education Foundation (SLED), Grade 8 Fundraising, Athletic Booster Club, Recreation Association, and the Spring Lake Drug Alliance, our students receive a wide variety of special activities, experiences, programs, projects, and trips. This powerful support structure enhances motivation for success every day at the H.W. Mountz School. We are very proud of the strong bond between students, faculty, parents, and community to continually support lifelong learning.
At the H.W. Mountz School, excellence is the norm, not the exception. An outstanding educational program in a neighborhood school with a wonderful tradition is the hallmark of the Spring Lake School District.