Phonics/Phonemic Awareness and Reading Readiness Skills
Welcome to Kindergarten! Working with letters, sounds and words
First and Second Semesters
We are learning how to read a book in Kindergarten.
There are many ways to do this!
We are learning to:
- recognize capital and lower case letters
- letters make up words....like our names!
- every letter makes a special sound
- there are words called "sight words" that we don't have to sound out (they pop up all over the place, so we need to know them lickety split!)
- we are all readers
- THE BIG IDEA: READING IS THINKING!
Readers Build Good Habits:
- make predictions about the stories they read
- take picture walks to find clues
- notice a writers special way of telling a story...does he use repeating lines? does he draw really cool pictures?
- make connections with the characters in a story book, when we make a connection we may say...that reminds me of.....
- re-tell stories...when we re-tell a story it helps us to understand it better!
- we can re-tell a story by thinking about the characters. Where did the story take place? What happened first? What happened next? What happened after that? How did it end?
Non-Fiction in Kindergarten
The big idea for kindergartners is: We read nonfiction books to learn about a special topic. Nonfiction books teach us about our world.
When I read a nonfiction book I can:
take a picture walk
I can ask myself: What is this book trying to teach me?
I can stop, think and wonder about what I'm learning
I knew....I wondered...I learned...
I can notice all the photographs and imagine them in my mind
I can share what I learned by saying:
1. Wow! I learned...
2. That's so cool.....
3. I never knew........
What we are learning: First and Second Semesters
- How to write numbers 1 to 20
- How to count groups of objects up to 10
- How to put numbers in order 1-20
- How to count by 10's
- How to count to 100!
- Compare numbers....is it less than? greater than or equal?
- Add numbers...the word plus means to join together.
- Recognize number patterns...like doubles, and the plus one and plus zero rule.
We will be adding and subtracting numbers.
We will be studying Geometry:
We will learn how to analyze, compare, and create shapes.