H. W. Mountz Elementary School
Reading and Writing
The most important of all new skills to be learned during first grade are reading and writing. My goal each year is to help the children grow as independent readers and writers and to develop a love for books and reading that can last a lifetime!
* Lots About Reading and Writing
2012-2013 school year: We have adopted new literacy instructional materials (Treasures from McGraw Hill) that are aligned with the Common Core Standards. Adjustments to spelling and high-frequency word lists are being made over the summer. ~Mrs. McGowan
* Online Scrambles for K- 2 - Fun activities for first graders
* Starfall - All of the activities are very engaging and well-done. Turn on the sound!
* Word Family Sort - Great practice with short vowel word families
* Word Build & Bank - Make lots of words!
* Roy the Zebra Interactive phonics games
* Grammar Gorilla - game for identifying parts of speech
* Book Adventure.com - this is a FREE reading motivation program for children in grades K-8. Book Adventure was created by the Sylvan Learning Foundation and is a non-profit organization.
* Wordles - Words In Words - their Words In Words machine will find all of the words hidden within the word, name or phrase you enter
* RhymeZone - you type in a word and find its rhymes, synonyms, & definitions
* Rhyming Dictionary - this site is my favorite for finding rhyming words.
* PBS Between the Lions- a fabulous site (like the TV show) thathas stories, games, printables, songs and more.
* PBS Between The Lions Songs- great songs to jazz up your phonics lessons